Sunday, October 29, 2017

Day 29: Breathtaking

Winding down from this wild month of word adventures, we can finally take a breath! Well, almost, first you need to write more. 
Coming a little late to you, I bring you one more form out of my anarchy. Today I'm playing the villain and giving you a jump scare with the Villanelle. The villanelle is French. You have five three-line stanzas and a final quatrain, with the first and third lines of the first stanza repeating alternately in the following stanzas. At the end you have a two line refrain. This totals to 19 lines. 
Your most important line is the 1st line. The first linen of the first stanza is the last line of the second and forth stanzas and the second to last line in the last stanza. The third line of the first stanza is the last line of the third and fifth stanzas and the last line of the last stanza. 
Oh and one more thing, the rhyme scheme is aba. 
Yeah, that made my head hurt too. Here's a chart via Baymoon.com 
A1 b  A2          - Lines in first tercet.
  a  b  A1          - Lines in second tercet.
  a  b  A2          - Lines in third tercet.
  a  b  A1          - Lines in fourth tercet.
  a  b  A2          - Lines in fifth tercet.
  a  b  A1 A2       - Lines in final quatrain. 

Anyways for those of you that aren't chasing form challenges, there are many other stories to tell. 
When was the last time something took your breath away? When was the last time something took your breath away so purely or suddenly that you dramatically reacted? For me, that's when I go to my happy place. While being based in North Carolina, I travel all around the world for writing work. My latest favorite has been Colorado. What never ceases to amaze me are the views. 
I think my favorite moments in life are when I'm up in the air and looking at a sunset from my airplane window. What's a story about an amazing sunset you've seen lately? One so beautiful it took your breath away? 

For your picture prompt, I saw a sunrise on my way to the airport in all its golden glory. It took my breath away, and then I went and poured some liquor into my coffee because I had to be at the airport for the next 4 hours. 


Cheers & Sunshine! 
-Beverly 

When Asian-American poet Beverly Tan was 7 years old she decided she wanted to be a filmmaker. In 2015 she became an internationally award-winning screenwriter, producer, and director. Along with her films, Beverly was fueled by a passion for writing and proving that her childhood dreams really can come true.
She currently splits time between Raleigh, NC and Denver, CO, though her cat lives in Raleigh full time.
Follower on IG/Twitter @BeverlyTanFilm 

You can buy her book Water in a Wineglass on Amazon

25 comments:

  1. I wrote this one before the prompt was up: https://unassortedstories.wordpress.com/2017/10/29/psycho-logic-ally/

    I may try and rewrite it for the suggested form if I can wrap my head around that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://biancasbookblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/octpowrimo-day-29-breathtaking.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 29 Villanelle: The Day We Arrived experiencewriting.com/2017/10/29/writober-day-29-alien-invasion/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be finishing out the challenge because I'm not a quitter, but I won't be sharing any more of my work. Honestly, it's a little tiresome when the only poems anyone wants to read are bright, chipper little odes to spring and twoo wuv.
    I'm sure everyone would have told Edgar Allan Poe to "just cheer up" too.
    I will leave everyone with the thought that maybe people whose minds work differently aren't broken things to be fixed and perhaps the reason we tend to hide and suffer in silence is because any time we share what's on our mind, we are admonished to "stop that stinkin' thinkin'" or are told that one day we'll straighten up and fly right, the often unstated piece being "and if you don't, you're a loser who just didn't try hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, my favourite poetry is never the bright, chipper odes. They're boring. I much prefer poems that dig deep into the darkness and pain and find the beauty hidden there.

      Delete
    2. I an sad that you feel this way. I enjoy your poems. Mine were often not very cheerful either.
      I think the purpose of this challenge is to get us to let our words out, so I'm glad you'll be doing that, even if you don't share it.
      Take good care of yourself. XO

      Delete
    3. Cara, I've just revisited a number of your poems and left a comment this time. I hope it's not oo much. If it is, I apologise. I care.

      Delete
    4. Mine are all on the darker and more dramatic side if you can guess from . my prompts hahahha

      Delete
  5. Today will be my "Halloween" poem, and beware, it is frightening. Day 29's offering: http://tao-talk.com/2017/10/29/day-29-octwripomo-tap-tap/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I just modified it to make it even more terrifying ;)

      Delete
  6. My poem for today

    https://stepstimestwo.wordpress.com/2017/10/29/dreams-and-nightmares/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried the challenge. I'm happy I did.
    Here is today's poem.
    http://www.awritersuniverse.com/2017/10/as-i-sit-here.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Everyone
    My entry for today

    Pat

    https://thoughtsandentanglements.wordpress.com/2017/10/29/mournful-notes/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Posting for Sudha Reddy:

    Topic prompt day 29 . Breathtaking

    What is common In all the breathtaking moments.... is NATURE in its purest form .

    The untouched nature

    The untouched Nature
    It is breathtaking
    Nature in it’s purest form

    Enduring labor
    Emerges the baby
    The untouched Nature

    Every step forward
    Many firsts are breathtaking
    Nature in its purest form

    Spring warmth
    Sprouting plant
    The untouched Nature

    The deep wilderness
    Majestic creatures
    Nature in its purest form

    The vastness of universe
    Appears infinite
    The untouched Nature

    Everything that is PURE
    Is breathtaking
    The untouched Nature
    The Nature in its purest form 😊💕🙏sr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Everything that is PURE
      Is breathtaking"
      Love this. Thank you. xoA

      Delete
  10. https://kryptic.blog/2017/10/30/kinetic/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Twenty-ninth Day of #OctPoWriMo 2017. Today's Theme - Breathtaking.
    This is my first attempt at a Villanelle.

    www.poemsbyannis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Halloween. Beware. This takes a twist at the end. http://hittingthemark-jones.blogspot.ca/2017/10/baited-breath.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  13. a villanelle from me :)
    https://ladyleemanilablog.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/day-29-breathtaking/

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://missdragonlady.blogspot.com/2017/10/octpowrimo-day-29-breathtaking.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Day 29 - this was inspired by one of the most breathtaking ballets I have seen -

    https://zwabisabi.blogspot.com/2017/10/fearful-symmetries.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. https://mandibelle16.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/octpowrimo-day-29photo-challenge-poem-villanelle-seperation-brings-us-closer-amwriting-poetry-photochallengekki/
    My take on this prompt

    ReplyDelete

Your words feed the hearts of the poets who lovingly volunteer to share their passion for poetry with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...