Thursday, October 28, 2021

OctPoWriMo Day 29: Paris


All being well, by the time you read this I will hopefully be on a train from where I live (in the Netherlands) to Paris, where I lived and worked for 9 years and where I will be heading this weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday. It's a place that means a huge amount to me; I got my first grown-up job there, I got engaged and then married there, I qualified as a teacher there, became French there, and even got my driving licence there. So in short, I basically grew up there, becoming a fully-fledged adult by the time I left (as opposed to a slightly dappy 22-year-old, which I was when I arrived).

So in your poem today, what is Paris to you? Have you ever been? Perhaps you have good or bad memories of your visit. Or maybe you have never been, but have always wanted to (or, if you have no desire to go, say why in your poem!). Perhaps you have only ever heard about Paris from other people, or received postcards from Paris from them, or maybe even learned everything you know about Paris from the film Amélie.

Today, try some rhopalic verse if you feel able: a poem whose lines increase by 1 syllable each time. If you play your cards right you might end up with something that looks like the Eiffel Tower!

Word prompts

métro

pâtisserie

baguette

magique

love

light

Remember, our prompts are only suggestions; you can find your inspiration wherever your muse leads you. Please visit the other participants' work, share the hashtag #OctPoWriMo on social media, and share your link in the comments below. Let us know how this journey into poetry is going for you. 

5 comments:

  1. Here's one for today.
    https://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2021/10/helloween-2021-day-28-i-cancelled.html
    I've been all over the place with this year's prompts. I spent a fair bit of October working on a piece for consideration in an anthology. It really threw my poetry off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://paeansunpluggedblog.wordpress.com/2021/10/29/lost-love-octpowrimo/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bianca, I'm so jealous you get to be in Paris. It was fun for me to imagine what it must be like.
    Here's mine: https://arhtisticlicense.com/2021/10/29/octpowrimo2021-day-29-paris/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Off prompt again... https://dawnsnight.wordpress.com/2021/10/30/12749/

    ReplyDelete

Your words feed the hearts of the poets who lovingly volunteer to share their passion for poetry with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...